Show/Hide

Important message regarding COVID-19 (Coronavirus Update)

Updated 3/24/20 9 a.m. 

Blendon Township has declared a State of Emergency. Read full resolution: Res. 20-02 Emergency Declaration  

As the COVID-19 public health situation continues to evolve, our township leadership staff has been working collaboratively with many agencies in an effort to reduce the potential spread of COVID-19 for our residents, students and families.

Check back regularly for updated information. 

Township Corona Virus Newsletter

For updates on COVID-19 in Franklin County: https://myfcph.org/

Documents regarding Governor DeWine’s Stay at Home order:

Stay at Home FAQs

Stay at Home FAQs (Spanish)

Franklin County Alerts: Please sign up to receive local COVID-19 updates and alerts by texting “COVID19FC” to 888777. Please keep me informed of any concerns and/or resources needed in your community.

Blendon Central Cemetery

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Blendon Central CemeteryOffice: (614) 882-2215
Fax: (614) 839-0048
Office Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 AM - 4:00 PM)

Linda Harter - Cemetery Administrator
Email: lharter@blendontwp.org

The “almost 28 acres” of Blendon Central Cemetery formerly know as Central Cemetery or Old Church Pioneer Cemetery had a most modest beginning. Early in the nineteenth century, Squire Timothy Lee donated to the Blendon Township Trustees one acre of ground on the northeast corner of Dempsey and Hempstead Roads. Although conveyed to the township trustee, the acre was designated for “church and burial purposes” of the Blendon Presbyterian Church. At the same time, Edward Phelps, Sr. donated an acre of land immediately across the road, on the northwest corner, for similar purposes.These two deeds were recorded in 1832, according to the Index of Deed in the County Recorder’s Office, Franklin County. The actual Record of Deeds, however, was burned in the Franklin County Court House fire on January 31, 1879. According to Attorney Fred Milligan, Sr., “ the deeds were undoubtedly signed and delivered March, 1832, and, in all probability, the date was March 27, 28, 29 or 30.” With legal matters not as carefully transacted as they are today, often, deeds were not recorded until several years after an agreement. With the many inconsistencies, land donated by Timothy Lee at the corner of Dempsey and Hempstead Roads become legally a site for “burial purposes” in 1832.

The name “Central Cemetery” was derived from the fact that the southwest corner of the cemetery lot is the geographical center of Blendon Township.

Today in 2013, we now have in excess of 13,000 graves in Blendon Central Cemetery with room for 50+ years of available property for potential gravesites. Please visit our cemetery, the headstones of our founders will create an interest in your own history.

This information was taken from “By One Spirit” by Lillian Brown Gossett.

Linda J. Harter, Cemeterian

Blendon Township has maintained a cemetery for its residents since 1829. In addition to a chapel available for services, a full range of burial options are available. Blendon residents receive priority pricing.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer