The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected Fiscal Officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election.
Blendon Township, as of January 1, 2013 is a home-rule township.
- Township Volunteer Board Appointment Policy
- List of Elected/Appointed Positions in Blendon Township
- 2021 Proposed Budget
Jan Heichel was born in Spokane, Washington. Her family relocated to Ohio in her early childhood years, making Ohio her place to call home. Both Jan and her husband, Tom have been active community members of Blendon Township, Franklin County for over 35 years and made serving the citizens a central part of their lives.
Interesting facts about Mrs. Heichel:
- Has 2 children and 6 grandchildren
- Active in numerous fund-raising events for Franklin County MR/DD West Central School, Easter Seals, D.A.R.E. School Progams and many more.
- Over 20 years experience in business
- Active member of the Westerville Community United Church of Christ.
James Welch, Vice Chair
James Welch has been involved with the Blendon Township community for many years. Recently Mr. Welch has played a significant role dealing with increasing water rates for the community.
Interesting facts about Mr. Welch:
- Past-President of Huber Ridge Area Association
- Co-Chairman of Fight the Hike Ohio
- Has 2 children
- Automotive service technician for 27 years
Stewart Flaherty, Chair
Stewart Flaherty was born in Penfield, New York. Mr. Flaherty made the move to Ohio and has been an Ohio resident for 36 years. (24 of them in Westerville) Mr. Flaherty is married to Marcia with four kids.
Interesting facts about Mr. Flaherty:
- Degree from Denison University
- Owns the Flaherty Consulting Group, a financial services firm serving clients nationwide
- 13 years on Westerville City Council
- Mayor of Westerville for four years
Shawn Smith, Fiscal Officer
Shawn Smith was raised on the north end of Columbus and has been a Blendon Township resident for the past eighteen years. His experience as a governmental accounting and public finance professional spans nearly two decades; gained through his service with numerous state, municipal, school district, and non-profit entities
Interesting facts about Mr. Smith:
- Served as a Trustee for the Westerville Public Library, a member of the Finance Committee of the Central Ohio YMCAs, and as Treasurer for the Central Ohio Association of Government Accountants.
- Certified Government Financial Manager, Certified Public Manager, and Certified Ohio Fiscal Professional.
- Associate of Applied Science Degree in Law Enforcement Technology (Magna Cum Laude) and a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Accounting (Summa Cum Laude).
- Recently obtained a Master of Accountancy program with Rutgers University specializing in governmental accounting and finance.